Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Peace on earth eh?

An interesting note:
In Luke 2:14 the heavenly host says the following,

"Glory to God in the highest,
and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests."
(NIV)
We like to think of Christmas as a time of peace and peaceful ideals. However, I think that this verse doesn't imply that Christmas will bring about peace in all our idealistic terms.

in Matthew 10:34-36 Jesus says the following:

"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn
" 'a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her motherinlaw—
36a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.'"
(NIV)
(note: The word "peace" in both passages come from the same word)

In addition- i think there are some Christ- imposed principles that uphold the family, but why should we think that Christmas -and EMANUEL- means a time when we all get along. I realize that these are hard words that even I don't fully know the measure of. But the point stands doesn't it? Christ doesn't make everyone get along.
I've been hearing of a new movie this season that seems to be a very real rendering of the nativity story. I'm excited to go see this movie, but I don't expect it to bring everyone together to agree that there is something special about Jesus. If anything, I expect (and even desire, dare I say it) that it will draw the lines clearer. Jesus brought division. Jesus was an object of controversy and/or trouble from the beginning. By bearing his identity were (and are) martyrs killed. In an attempt to destroy him were babies/tots murdered (Matthew 2:16.) And yet he came for a great purpose.
He is reality. He is Truth. He is the life giver, the Redeemer, the Savior of the world and indeed the devine and worthy and incomprehensible Son of God Almighty - to whom be glory forever and ever.
Amen.

1 comment:

AfterVerner said...

Its true. Jesus didn't try to unite everyone, just to reveal which side they were on. Hmm...I don't know if I like the trend. First we had the tower of Babel. Now there is Jesus coming to divide. Seems God doesn't want us to be unified. At least, not here on Earth.

So if Christmas is seen as standing for peace and Jesus came to divide, then we shouldn't be associating a peaceful holiday with... Man. This God guy is confusing. No wonder they call him Mysterious.