Wednesday, August 22, 2012

so this is belief


I think belief is really quite incredible. And I'm not talking about a particular belief system. I mean that, when anybody truly believes something, it tends to give strength to convictions which are willing to run against the course of culture or societal pressures. In an intro to sociology class, I learned that “human agency” is the ability of the individual to affect society in contrast to society affecting him. Lowering expectations speaks to letting society shape me. Even those who claim to be agents of change are still shaped by society, if I bend to it completely I get an easier ride; and yes, I might forgo any convictions i held which countered it, but if my morality is defined by the world that creates me, it becomes easy to justify. I do not write this facetiously, I'm trying to be honest in my regard of our condition. Belief, however, belief can change the world; not always for the best, and sometimes for the worse, but oftentimes for the better. And if belief gives value to self and to others and convicts one to search for the highest kinds of good rather than bending to animalistic momentary impulses or social conditioning, then isn't that kind of belief that which, when we observe it in someone, we value and protect and admire? Even if i think the belief system is bad- I must respect it for the discipline, sacrifice and “leap of faith” that it takes. I must admire it if it is truly doing good beyond the self- for a higher purpose or moral definition. I think its backwards, those who seem to take a particular stance (athiestic as the simplest example) for the sole motive of attacking the opposition. In this situation there seems to be a poor respect for belief. Either the attacker would respect another believer for their belief (and disagree with their beliefs at the same time if they want to) or else they don't think that their opponent has true belief, and this has sparked an antagonism of bitterness. This can be understood. The biblical epistle of James talks about faith, if without works, is dead. I think some people see this of those who call themselves believers and call cheat. I suppose that taking the name of Christ would be impossible altogether, however, if it wasn't for Gods grace. This is what believers must keep appealing to when opponents attack. I'm sorry. We don't have ideals as much as we have hope. We don't have a destination as much as a journey. We don't have a wholeness as much as a healing. Another epistle said to bear with those whose faith is weak. I'm only not out of the game by God's grace.

No comments: