Friday, December 31, 2021

New Year Eve 2021

Does New Year's Eve get an apostrophe like I just used? I would think so, and yet, it seems somehow wrong. 

I certainly would like to write a personal piece on some of my personal development and exploration over the last two years, but that won't be tonight. I could probably eek out some of the triumphant moments that made life rich in 2021, but to give them justice? Not tonight. Tonight I'm tired. Seems I'm usually past the long sleep ins and lazy days of this holiday season by now and am about ready to jump back in, but tonight? Tonight I don't plan to stay up 'till midnight. I just realized, however, that I might be woken by fireworks and the like at 12:00am. Despite Vancouver's apparent ban on fireworks, it still seems a city as lustful for them as ever.
So is that it? I'm old now? Ha! Despite a hairline that seems undeniably receded I know I'm still young in body, mind and relative position to others. This year has seemed to sneak by sneakier than others, however. Is it because I found some balance, some station of regularity, some semblance of predictability? 

I am concerned that these might seduce me, and yet in some ways, maybe they aren't the enemy entirely either. 

I suppose I love moments. Big memorable ones. The spice of life or something. So to close out the year, allow me to recall a few moments that did happen in this year I am dreadfully close to calling mediocre. 

1. Walks with friends in the neighbourhood after work. Walking around with salvaged scrap lumber and eating fish and chips down by the docks. 

2. Reconnecting with a romantic flame during the dark days of physical distancing. 

3. Standing in a long line on a beautiful day to get a #1 vaccination at the Vancouver waterfront. 

4. Surviving the heat wave that rounded out the working year by going to the theatre and drinking an icy-cold fountain drink instead of going home. 

5. A baking hot day at the beach on Bowen Isl.

6. Coming upon an Elk (or having an Elk come upon me) from a short distance away while walking a rural road near Earl's Cove. 

7. Swimming in the tepid clear waters around Savary Island at the start of summer vacation.

8. Being given a tour into one of the lighthouses along the West Coast Trail because of good timing to come upon the lighthouse-keeper. 

9. Seeing an orca close to shore at Thrasher Cove

10.  Swimming between two waterfalls on a woodland river near Campbell River with a kindred spirit. 

11.  Kayaking out to Wallace Island and jumping in the ocean from the rock. 

12. Driving the wagon road up to William's Lake, breaking free of the smoke and enjoying several days with dear friends before taking a scenic route back. While up there, heading out to the country and stopping by the bridge where I didn't drink from the Fraser, under a mythical warning that if I did I wouldn't leave. 

13. Starting my masters' program

14. Hitting the Sunflower "festival" out in Richmond

15. Spending so much time on the farm, both in the summer, and over winter break. 


Sure, some things may have slowed down. Some people and places I may be missing, but on the whole I think I'm still headed someplace while still sometimes quite present. I feel lucky. Or maybe we could call it privilege, maybe both. Tell you something: I'm pretty grateful. Maybe not near enough, but still grateful I am. I think sometimes one can be both grateful and striving for more, but now, today, I think content is a good word to lean on. That and sleepy. 

A good bye year that was, and still is in many ways. Soon enough, i expect, goodnight as well. 


No comments: