Saturday, March 31, 2007

Culture Thief

This is something I have thought about and pondered for quite some time, the item of Christian mission stealing ethnic culture. Although this has been put on the table even more in my recent Cross Cultural Studies class, I'd like to look at it in a more localized light as well.

Having grown up going to Church "functions" and services I have seen the church communities successes and failures to be relevant (if I may use such a use thrashed word). Living in what I will call the "buckle of the bible belt" (Audio Adrenaline coined that one) (and in a secluded Bible college setting no less) has made the failures and attempts to "relevancy" (lets call it relatability- I think that works better) quite bold.

Think about your city, Do you appreciate it for its diversity? Do you enjoy its spectra of talent, ability, creativity and ingenuity- even its open-mindness?

Now think about if your whole city were to become converted Christians in the manner that the institutionalized church appears to generally intend. That is, to bring them all to church, integrate them into church culture and then let them out again.
Maybe you yourself are getting a little bored of "church" as you know it- not because theres no truth and community there but because otherwise it is very unrelatable.
(I don't want to sound complacent, but try to spur envisioning and thoughts for a crazier tomorrow. )

I don't want to go knocking on my local church body either, because I think they rock! However, trying to find a place for open and constructive and thought provoking criticism I say this: If your city was to become all like the general "church-goers" how much of the culture and soul of your city would be left?
I am not saying that "church goers" are not inwardly diverse, but they often outwardly seem quite similar, general, limited and open to stereotypes.

That leads to another question, and on this one I am still working in my own life.
Could it be that a lie has been planted in our life that we should be less than we have been created to be because a sort of cultural theology that constantly restricts our potential?

I don't know. It's a hard question to ask.

1 comment:

Rob Petkau said...

To answer your last question... sadly YES. Or at least that applies to some of us.

I love your train of thought Cronk... I am ON this train. You've captured that heart of the Visioneering procees I'm engaged in with my Young Adults here in Ed.
Miss you bro!