Thursday, February 08, 2007

Why the title was: "for sale: everything I own" and generally why it's not anymore.

So, the original post here basically said that I was giving away or putting up everything I own for sale. The Idea of the title was that, if I claim to own anything myself, then it better be for sale so it isn't mine for much longer.
The move blossomed out of a conversation and decision I made based, not exclusively but, largely on Acts 2:45, which tells about the early church, "Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need." (NIV)
As to get in on a step of Faith, I agreed upon putting up all my stuff for sale or free. Largely, this initial attempt was made as an act of growing my reliance on God and showing my devotion to Him. I think it was a good risk to take. However...
I don't fully know that I should go into full reasoning for all this now, except to say that I haven't sold everything I have in my possession and I am not sure that I should or not. Being a good steward would probably be easier with less stuff, but there are surely some things which God wants to use in my hands if I am willing.
If I am willing.
I want to say that I hold nothing as my own, but what if I do?

The story of Ananias and Sapphira in Acts 5, frankly put me on my guard about saying I would do something, and then, perhaps not doing it.

So while I can not guarantee my own faithfulness to sticking to my own agendas - even when perhaps done as an act of Faith in God, I am trying to work out how I work into God's agenda. He is more faithful than I.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

my sister wants your truck...how much?

Anonymous said...

Oh...and...

for my sis:
a Dakine backpack


for me:
the Back to The Future Videos
your laptop

my Mom:
left over grad photos

...can you please supply a quote on thses listed items? Thank you.

Rob Petkau said...

Your lack of attachment to material things, inspires and shames me.

Anonymous said...

It's not hard to be attached when you don't actually own anything!!

...still waiting on that truck quote...and the grad photos...

calebkzylstra said...

There is a fine line between the balance of Stewardship and Materialism.

Jerusha said...

hey cronk do you really mean everything if so you want to give me the star wars clouths that you got from rob plz:(puppy eyes from jerusha

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.