Saturday, December 29, 2012

Soul +Art+ Destiny?


I've noticed that many people, although availed with all the terrible overproduced stereo systems on the market from future shop to value village, still choose to listen to, what i consider rather tinny music from tiny speakers that their technology plug into. Even earbuds don't often sound that great. Somewhere it seems that compact got a little too compact. I'm just saying this because i was just sitting on my futon in the dark, excepting some Christmas lights with FM radio (which i also think is under-rated: you can get an excellent fm signal with a half decent receiver) coming through my solid state amplifier into two front facing mid-range wide load Yamaha cabinets and two more heavy magnets behind me, and well, the song was "full circle" by Half Moon Run. Some songs were just meant to be played like that i think. Or live. I recently went and saw Patrick Watson live at the most beautiful acoustic venue in town. And, you know, WOW. There comes this moment, you know it maybe, when you realize that this is who we are- with the beautiful wholeness that music can manifest. And I want to be that. I want it to be me. My vices seem like trash. My shallow ambitions like tricks. I know, somehow, that we were meant for this. We meant for beauty. If music can do that, if it can point to who we are meant to be, if it can show us that we are more, even that we are created and that that makes us so much more and not less, and that this world that we know is temporal against beauty we catch at glimpses, and that that should give us joy, well, then i'd say its about completed. And by this, i believe we Glorify God.

No comments: