Saturday, December 15, 2012

spin off #1: Soul


The suggestion is that some discipline, some standards, some convictions are in place as means to a greater end, to keep sight on our greater purposes, in which is to be found greater delight. This can be hard to get a head around. The pastor at church, recently, was talking about discipleship. Basically, discipleship is a choice, not an emotional experience. It doesn't really have prerequisites as far as i can tell, other than an act of will. It sounds intimidating, but the pastor gave two examples of how making a choice happens. -------------------------------------------- First, he gave the example of this guy named Nethanael who was, although he didn't know it at the time, about to become one of Jesus' 12 disciples. Story starts when Phillip comes up to Nethaneal and basically says, you've got to check out this Jesus from Nazareth: he's the real thing. To which Nate basically replies, you said this guy was from Nazareth?... I have my doubts, but I'll come with you and check Him out if it makes you happy." When Nethanael meets Jesus, Jesus calls him "a true Israelite in whom there is nothing false". A North-American reading might see this statement laced with sarcasm, but apparently that's not accurate. Jesus saw an intelligent specimen of his society, and a skeptic at that, and seemingly was like, I can use this guy. As someone who often feels too skeptical to belong in church, this exchange evokes grace. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The other character is found in a contested bit of the bible, but skipping over schematics, here's what happened: This woman (name not given) had been caught in adultery, and the Law-elites pointed out that the Law said she should be stoned. In an attempt to trip Jesus up, these guys ask Jesus,"what do you say?" ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Jesus said that anyone without sin could throw the first stone. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- At this point, the passage says, those in hearing left, one at a time, with the older ones leaving first until there was no-one there but this messed up girl and Jesus. "Jesus straightened up and asked her, 'Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you? 'No one, sir,' she said. 'Then neither do I condemn you,' Jesus declared. 'Go now and leave your life of sin.'" -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This character was given mercy for nothing and a chance at getting cleaned up offered by the only one who was actually without sin. All she needed to do was respond. All I do is realize that the One who has enough interest in me to have mercy on me has an interest in what i become. It says more about who I am and my potential than what I've done and where I screwed it up in the past. Response seems pretty natural. Its baby steps, every one taken in the strength of His grace and the care of His mercy. (Its a hard one to nail in words). ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you had asked me before my new consideration of these themes which biblical character I most related to I think I would have told you it was the man who told Jesus "I do believe, help me with my unbelief". I still like this guy, because often my belief feels weak, but I think that Gods mercy and grace has grown me a bit past this. I can't keep using unbelief as justification for not entering discipleship- not when I see He has brought me carefully into his grace of acceptance and mercy of response- not when I get a taste of the good intent and purpose of a loving Father God.

No comments: