Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Remember

I thought that today I might not go to the cenotaph. I was working and figured that from the field i'd be in at 11:00am I would take a minute to remember the veterans to the pastoral scene of ocean, hills and surmising Canadian Geese.
However, as i began to think on the nature of the day (and also listened to some BBC World Service Podcasts and one with Stuart McLean from CBC- all themed in some way around freedom and rememberance day) I changed my mind.

I came inside the farm house for a coffee and asked my employer where the assembly was held on their island- because i wanted to go. She, who wouldn't have minded if i took the whole day off, offered the Jeep to my use for the rest of the day.

The blue jeep had actually belonged to her late father who had, himself, been a WWII Vet. The Jeep sped and cornered with a spirit that makes one joke that it has a bit of the old Dr. (known for his frenzied driving- perhaps adapted in the war) embedded in it's engine's soul.

The pipers, the RCMP, The Veterans.
The heartstirring anthem and the buglers.

The horn sounded from the fire hall. I think it might have been an air raid signal- although i don't know if such small towns in far-removed Canada were outfitted with them. Whether or not, it was the most stirring moment for me as the incredibly loud signal ripped through me. it was reminiscent of movies that i'd seen with that sound, except this was the real thing. I suddenly felt a reminiscence and empathy for the people who lived through such times.

As the names of the fallen were called I looked into the crowd to see a woman with her daughter's arm holding her- reddened eyes holding back tears. To her this was no mere list of names.

If you were never raised going to your local cenotaph on Nov 11th, i encourage you to not let your habits stop you from getting out of your way next year. The WWI vetrans passed on, it won't be long before the WWII Vetrans are gone before you can stand to salute them.

I hope that Nov 11th is as important to you as it is to me. I feel it is the only day of the year (excepting perhaps Canada day) that all residents of this far and wide should observe.

If you are a vocal pacifict then you are a hipocrite to not lead the way.
If you are an immigrant then these vetrans sacrificed for you as well.
If you are an idealist then learn from those who took self-sacrificing action in the face of the less than ideal, so that you could have ideals.

Other holidays are mostly of cultural or religious affiliation- and therefore you have your freedoms not to be involved (although i wish we'd all share our own cultures and religious affiliations with each other more) but Rememberance day is for every one who calls themselves a free Canadian. It is a moral obligation.

Apparently the silence on Rememberance day was suggested by an Austrailian visiting Britian and seeing the young people dancing and boys kissing the girls in the streets and thought that a silent rememberance would be more appropriate. I certainly agree with him. we don't want the day lost in a party.
However, i must also immagine what it might have felt like to have the war over. The war was reason for solemness. Its end was reason for dancing.

Two days ago was the 20th aniversary of the fall of the Berlin wall. I don't want to over-romanticise this event, but there is no getting around its incredible symbolic and physical significance when it was breached and crossed and torn down. Freedom employed. Wow.

I watched Swing Kids recently and was influenced by the way that the freedom to dance like Americans was threatened to the utmost in youth culture in Germany. I started swing dancing this year, and am pretty glad that i can do so without fear of being shut down or locked up.
I think along with remembering those who sacrificed for our freedom comes a sort of inner obligation to celebrate the aspects of that freedom. Speak freely of religion and culture and art. Get a great education, research history and literature and reach for the sky. Today we remember and we do not forget. For tomorrow we will dance (and maybe even kiss some girls).


Join with me, become aware of our fighting men both past and present. Our boys are supposed to be back from Afganistan in 2011. Let's remeber them too.

1 comment:

Snafu said...

Thank you. That speaks so much for what we remember - why we remember. Thank you for recognizing the reason for gathering at the cenotaphs and honoring those who died for us. And thanks for sharing that. :)
Sharon